Sunday, September 13, 2009

On top of spaghetti

All right all you bloggers/fans. I'm back and ready for action (that is typing is about all the action I have energy for right now). I have a new recipe I want to share. It's one that's been in great demand... Okay, ONE person has asked me for the recipe-my sister, but I'm still going to force it on all the rest of you because in my opinion it's a good one!

Slow Cooked Spaghetti Sauce

About 8-10 ripe tomatoes
1 can of tomato paste
1 small summer squash
3 green onions
2 carrots
2 tsp-1/4 C. minced garlic
2 tsp-1/4 C. sugar
Basil
Oregano
Parsley flakes
1 Bay leaf
Salt
Pepper

Mince tomatoes, squash, onions & carrots & place in slow cooker. Add tomato paste. Add Garlic, Sugar, Basil, Oregano, Parsley, Salt & Pepper to taste. Add Bay leaf. Cook for 5-8 hours on low setting or until thickness of your liking.

I just made this recipe yesterday, and I have to admit it was my best batch yet. As I don't stick to a tight recipe, every time is a little different-you can tweak it to your liking. I also have added minced green peppers when I've had them-basically whatever is in my garden. Also, I prefer my sauce a little sweeter, so I add the higher amount of sugar (and garlic since I love garlic, too.)

Speaking of garlic, I am considering planting some this year. I have received some instruction as to how. The deciding factor will be whether my husband is willing to do a little tilling for me this fall, since garlic can be planted in the fall. I'll let you know how it goes, if it goes that is!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy. I need to get brave and make my own sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tilling? Good luck with that! You could get an old 'hand tiller', and harness the little children to pull it forward for you....then reward them later by letting them take a long nap! Would burn that energy off them, wouldn't it??? Your recipe sounds good. I made some sauce with a large tomato, a can of diced tomatoes, minced garlic, diced onion, Italian Spices, and about 3 tablespoons of ketchup. Cooked it for a while, added a small amount of ground beef cooked - tasted great! The addition of carrot, squash, and green onion would be yummy as well.

    ReplyDelete